November 4, 2009

NaNoWriMo 2009

Perhaps you have heard people talk about the NaNoWriMo. It's a massive task: write, in one month, a novel of 50 000 words. Yup, you read that right. That's 1667 words per day.

I tried (and failed) last year, but this year, things will be different. First, I've thought more about my story. I just need some last few research until it starts.

What do you mean, "It's already started" ?
You mean we're really the 4th of November? It's just not a nightmare I've been having?

Why, yes, I haven't written a thing ! You don't write before it starts, that would be cheating !

Yes, yes, okay, it has started and I should be writing... Geez, get off my back, already, people!

I guess I'll have some trouble writing the novel I had in mind. Find myself stuck when I try. Where I'm not stuck is when I write about what I want to write, the decisions I have to face, and how the thing is building itself block by block.

An essay on a novel. Writing about writing.

This should make me learn some things.

For the novel? Weeeell, there's always next year... :S

Still, wish me some fortitude on this task, I'm gonna need it.

5 comments:

  1. Tch ! Stop finding yourself excuses ! Just do it already ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck :D

    I'm still at 4000 myself -- after sitting down to do a long stretch yesterday, the world once again conspired (in the form of parent-in-law birthday) against me.

    But that's ok. These are 4000 I hadn't written before, and 4000 words more than I've written in the last decade.

    I mean, uh -- *crack whip*!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, careful with that whip, now!

    Welcome here, Ysh, make yourself at home, as long as you don't forget to churn out some words while you 're here.

    As Skoras here knows well about me (back at you, man), my biggest enemy is not so much the world as myself. Between self-doubt and pure, unadultered procrastination, it's not easy to write...

    Not giving up, though :) !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once upon a time I was trying to write a 50000 word novel. I tried and I tried but I couldn't come up with anything interesting to say, so I decided to write about the experience of trying to write about a 50000 word novel. So far so meta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed. But you'll be happy to know I finally managed to start that novel. 8 000 words written, 42 000 more to go. 11 days remaining X__x.

    ReplyDelete